We just finished reading the book, Shiloh, and I will be showing the movie in class next week. Shiloh is about a beagle dog that is mistreated by its owner and a young boy who takes the dog in and cares for it without letting anyone know. The movie is rated PG, so I need your permission to have your child watch it. If you do not want your child to watch it, please let me know and I will be sure to make accommodations. Thank you!
Hello families! Hope you are enjoying the weekend. So glad the sun is back! As you know, all 3rd graders will be participating in the CAASPP (California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress) testing next week. Below is a list of a few important reminders and requests. 🙂
- have your child bring headphones or earbuds if possible.
- be sure your child is at school on time each morning next week.
- be sure your child is well rested each day and eats a good breakfast
- avoid scheduling appointments or taking your child out of school if at all possible (if unavoidable, please let me know ahead of time if your child will be out)
- have your child bring a water bottle to keep with them at their seat
- encourage your child each day to do their best and take their time. Let them know how proud you are of them!
I want children to understand the importance of the test, but do not want them to feel ANY kind of stress. I will remind kiddos every day that the purpose of the testing is to simply show what they have learned throughout the year. I will encourage them each day to show their best effort, take their time, and be confident in their skills. Please do the same. 🙂 We will be testing each day next week for a chunk of the day and will spend the rest of our days doing lots of fun science, art, and other activities.
Thanks so much! Let me know if you have any questions!
Wow! Monday is already May 1st! One more month of 3rd grade for your kiddos! Here’s what’s happening next week…
Pasta for Pennies – On Friday we counted the money we have collected so far for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and our grand total so far is $169!! Thank you to all the families that have contributed spare change as well as bills! We are still collecting through the end of next week (May 5th). Our goal is to reach over $200!
Math Tests – I will be sending home one of our recent math tests for you to review with your child. Please sign it after you have reviewed it and have your child bring it back to school by Friday. It is important that I receive all of the tests back. Thanks is advance! You can also see your child’s latest math test score on the ThinkCentral site under “My Scores”. They took the area and perimeter test digitally. 🙂
Tuesday – Don’t forget your library books. This will be our last checkout of the year!
Wednesday – Students will have a substitute as I will be at a district meeting all day.
Have a great week!
Here are a few important reminders for next week:
- We’re publishing a book! – Students are working hard on a writing piece based on a mentor text we are using in class called “The Day the Crayons Quit.” They are having so much fun writing their letters focusing on using personification, point of view, and figurative language. They will also be illustrating their writing and it will all be compiled into our class book that is going to be published. Today your child will bring home an order form for you to order your own hardbound copy of the book. If you would like to order the book please complete and return the order form by Friday. You can also order online but still need to return the order form. If you are not interested in purchasing the book, that is completely ok. There is a place for you to mark “no” at the bottom and return the form as well.
- Library books are due on Tuesday! 🙂
- Friday: Earth Day celebration. We will be having lots of fun in the garden on Friday learning about composting, tasting fresh produce, and lots more! There is also a trash to treasure art contest. See the flier below for more info.
- Friday: Month of the military child continues. Wear camouflage!!
Hello families! Hope everyone enjoyed this nice, spring weekend! We are entering week 2 of the 4th quarter. Hard to believe these kiddos will be 4th graders before we know it! The 4th quarter is always a busy one! Here are some important things coming up….
This month is month of the military child. We have many students in our classroom who come from military families and currently have or have had loved ones on deployment. I would like to extend a huge, sincere thank you for the daily sacrifices of our military families. Not only is the service member a hero, but every member of their family are heroes as well! We will be having the following spirit days to honor our military children:
In addition, if you have a military child, please send in a photo of your child with their military family member (preferably in uniform). Students will get a chance to share the picture and then we are asking to hold on to them to be displayed in the multi-purpose room.
Annual Camarena 5K Color Splash is coming! Sign up by the 14th to be guaranteed your t-shirt size. Such a great community event!
Students will have VAPA on Monday morning as well as Wednesday afternoon this week.
Thursday: Community forum for new prinicipal. On Friday your child brought home a letter informing you that Mr. Hanks would be retiring. A meeting will be held this Thursday for you to express your wants and needs in a new principal. The meeting begins at 6:00pm. Please come and let your voice be heard!
CAASPP Testing – Our annual state testing is coming up in May. Students will be testing the week of May 15-19. Please place these dates on your calendar. It is important that children are at school on time each day of the testing week. Please try to avoid making appointments during the week which would cause your child to miss school. Thanks! 🙂
Have a great week!!
Yearbooks – Just a quick reminder that the deadline to order yearbooks is this Wednesday. To purchase your yearbook online with Lifetouch you can visit YBpay.lifetouch.com and enter yearbook code 11825817. Or you may complete and return the order form that was sent home a couple weeks ago.
Homework – Homework will be due this Friday due to the upcoming spring break. Homework consists of 2 front/back math pages this week. Please continue to have your child read, practice multiplication facts, and do a few Achieve articles during the break in addition to rest and relaxation! 🙂
PTA Needs your help!!! – Nominations are being accepted for next year’s PTA board. If we are unable to get volunteers to be on the board, we will not have a PTA for the next 2 years. Not having a PTA means no Winter Wonderland, no movie nights, no grants for field trip buses, no book fairs, no dances, no teacher mini-grants to help pay for supplies, and more! If you or anyone you know may be interested (they currently need a volunteer for treasurer) please check out more informations through the link below. Please get the word out! Not having a PTA would deeply affect the resources for our school and our kids!!
Greetings! Another week is upon us! Minimum days start Thursday for conferences. A few other things are also happening this week. Please take a quick look!
Book Fair: The book fair will take place all week in the multi-purpose room. The PTA is in huge need of volunteers. If you are able to help out, please let me know or email the PTA at email@example.com. If we cannot secure volunteers, they may not be able to continue the book fair.
Conferences: I will be sending home a paper reminder with your confirmed conference date and time. Please remember these are student led conferences, so your kiddo must be with you! 🙂 See you next week!
Monday: Digital homework logs are due. Please be sure the logs are filled out with what was actually completed by the student. 🙂
Tuesday: Library books are due!!!
Thursday: Minimum Day (1:15)